EarFold® is a small implant that reshapes the cartilage of the ear according to the shape you want to give it. It is a minimally invasive technique that is a good alternative to a conventional otoplasty.
Indications of Prominent ears
EarFold® can correct prominent ears or improve the appearance of asymmetric ears by rebalancing their size.
How the procedure works
EarFold® implants are placed under local anaesthesia on an outpatient basis and take only twenty minutes to complete.
You can preview the result of Prefold® beforehand
Prefold® is an almost exact replica of the Earfold® implant. In this way the patient can visualize the final result of the treatment.
Prefold® makes it possible:
- To determine the number of Earfold® implants required
- To assess the positioning of the clips on the ear
The patient stands in front of a mirror. After disinfecting the ears, the surgeon gently pushes the edge of the helix from the ear towards the head, then draws some grooves to represent the top of the desired plication of the antihelix. He places some small pieces of double-sided adhesive tape on selected areas and folds the ear to create the desired plication of the antihelix. Then he places the Prefold® clips to correctly reposition the ear.
The surgeon will take pictures using Prefold® to facilitate the positioning during the subsequent implantation of Earfold®. The result obtained may differ slightly from what was expected during the simulation with the Prefold® positioner.
- Remove all clips and piercings and don’t wear any earrings
- Style the hair so that the ears are as free as possible
The EarFold® implant is made of a nickel-titanium alloy metal called Nitinol. This material has two advantages:
- It is very elastic and the ear to be treated always returns to its initial position
- It keeps the predefined design setting permanently
The surgeon will make a small incision in the back fold of the ear and then insert the EarFold® implant under the skin. Once in place, the implants attach to the ear cartilage and reduce the salient aspect of the cartilage plication. He uses one to two EarFold® implants in each ear to achieve the desired result. At the end of the procedure, the practitioner sews it up with absorbable stitches.
EarFold® is a minimally invasive technique. There is no bruising or swelling. The patient experiences at most some mild pain for a few days.
- It is not necessary to put on any bandages or wear a headband after the operation
- There will be bruises and swelling around the incision for a week
- Avoid any sporting activities where the ears may be handled or sustain any kind of trauma for four weeks
- Do not sleep on your side for four to five weeks to reduce the risk of ear trauma
- Most patients are able to resume normal activities on the same or next day
Results are immediately visible. The ears have lost their protruding appearance and appear nice and flat.
Résultats avant après Earfold®
Earfold® has been designed to stay in place permanently but if the patient wishes, he or she can ask to remove or replace the implants due to complications or an unsatisfactory aesthetic result.
Book an Appointment for an Earfold® Implant Consultation
A consultation is required for new clients.
Given the current situation, our clinic is currently closed until further notice.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we offer free online video consultations for new patients.
To book an appointment : CLICK HERE
We also remain at your disposal for any information by telephone and e-mail.
Take care of yourself :)